Jump directly to the content
JINGLE HELLS

Warning as Hallmark Christmas ornament explodes spraying ACID over dad’s face as he changed battery

A HALLMARK Christmas ornament exploded on a stunned dad spraying ACID over his face as he changed a battery.

Home surveillance camera footage captured the moment the Christmas tree model blew up in Paul Lanphear’s face in Mesa, Arizona.

 The Disney toy exploded in Mr Lanphear's face
3
The Disney toy exploded in Mr Lanphear's faceCredit: Az family
 He was rushed to hospital after the horror scare
3
He was rushed to hospital after the horror scareCredit: Az family

The shocked dad could be heard shouting and clutching his face after the Hallmark Disney decoration erupted while he changed its button batteries.

Lanphear then went to his local emergency room amid fears he got the corrosive substance on his skin or eyes.

He told AzFamily: “The battery exploded!”

“My biggest concern was that the debris or the acid in that battery was going to permanently damage by eye.

“When you’re changing those button batteries out, you have to use some sort of eye protection.

“I never expected an ornament to cause an explosion.”

He escaped without serious harm and is grateful the ornament – his children’s favourite – did not injure anyone else.

Lanphear has also contacted Hallmark to flag up the potentially dangerous batteries, and says the company took a report about what happened.

He added: “I guess from now on I’m going to need to wear face protection when I’m changing the ornament batteries. It’s just crazy.”

He warned: “When you’re changing out the button batteries, wear some eye protection.”

 A clip from the CCTV footage which captured the incident
3
A clip from the CCTV footage which captured the incidentCredit: Az family